Please share the below with your IT team to make sure these domains are allowed. This will ensure BetterUp invitations are successfully delivered and BetterUp content is accessible to members of your organization.
Firewall Configuration and Allowed Domains
In this section, you will be asked to allow access through your firewall to resources required for the BetterUp experience to be delivered to your members. You will need to add these domains to the allowed list in your firewall configuration.
We have built a testing tool to help you verify that the BetterUp experience will function once the firewall is configured to allow access.
Core Application Domains
Access to the following domains is required for the primary functionality of the BetterUp application.
- www.betterup.com and betterup.com -- BetterUp’s marketing site and main website
- *.betterup.eu -- The wildcard ensures that content from any betterup.eu domain is accessible. All of our application data is served from betterup.eu and it is vital that you can access this domain. We highly recommend that you enable the wildcard *.betterup.eu to your firewall allow list so that any and all BetterUp content can be accessed by your members.
- app.betterup.eu -- Subdomain specifically for accessing the BetterUp application
- video.betterup.eu -- This subdomain is used for video coaching sessions.
- email.betterup.eu -- Universal app deep links utilize this domain to direct members to content within our application. Without it, members will not be able to access our content from our communications.
This is a CNAME record that points to a cloudfront distribution we use to enable universal links for our mobile applications. The cloudfront distribution uses sendgrid.net as an origin. You can read more about this configuration in the SendGrid docs.
- mail.betterup.eu -- Allows members to receive in-app messages via our service provider Braze
- *.betterup.eu -- Again, we highly recommend that you enable the wildcard *.betterup.eu to your firewall allow list so that any and all BetterUp content can be accessed by your members. Adding the wildcard subdomain removes the need to enable any of the specific subdomains of betterup.eu listed above.
- betterup.zendesk.com -- Allows members to communicate in-app with our customer support team via our service provider Zendesk
In order for email delivery and interaction to operate as smoothly as possible, we recommend allowing the following:
All emails delivered by the platform are sent from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and follow industry-standard configuration including:
Occasionally, it is necessary to permit email delivery using our IP addresses which are:
Video Chat Enablement
Additionally, we use an external service called Tokbox to enable our peer-to-peer video chat functionality. In order for this to work properly, the following actions need to be taken. See the official Tokbox support documentation for more detailed instructions on firewall configuration to support video calls.
Open the following firewall ports (outbound):
TCP port 443. Tokbox uses this port for secure HTTP communication.
Ensure access to the following domains:
Along with the minimum requirements above, opening UDP Port 3478 will give you a better experience. UDP is highly recommended over TCP for better quality audio and video. The protocol favors timeliness over reliability which is consistent with the human perceptive preferences; where we can fill in gaps but are sensitive to time-based delays. This port only accepts inbound traffic after an outbound request is sent. The connection is bidirectional but is always initiated from the corporate network/client so it is not possible for an external entity to send malicious traffic in the opposite direction. For the best possible experience, we recommend opening UDP ports 1025 - 65535.
Additionally, allowing the following HTTPS verification servers for the Toxbox HTTPS certificate will help avoid the browser console warnings. However, these warnings should not affect the session.
Video/Audio Quality Check
Once the above domains have been allowed you should perform the Tokbox pre-call check, save the test data, and send back to BetterUp for review - this will help us get ahead of any potential call quality-related issues.
BetterUp’s Diagnostic Browser Extension
This browser extension helps BetterUp detect firewall configuration issues that may impact your experience. Any employee within the corporate network can download the extension to provide us helpful insights.
What does it do? The tool ping’s all of the domains that are needed for an optimal BetterUp experience. After the tool is run, in the background it sends a pass/fail report to our engineering team so we can optimize the default call method for coaching sessions and the learning resources our coaches assign. The tool only collects data when it’s run, there is NO ongoing data collection or collection of personal browsing history and the extension can be deleted at any time.
Here’s how to run the tool (less than 5 minutes):
- Go to any of the browser extension stores at the links below, and select to add the BetterUp Diagnostic Extension to your browser.
- Once installed, click to run the extension.
- Enter Name, Email, and any notes (ex. "I’m at our headquarters in San Francisco").
- That’s it! Our engineering and customer success teams will receive the diagnostic information to coordinate any mitigation work and next steps.
You can find the extension at the browser add-on stores below:
- Firefox Add-On: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterup-diagnostic-extension/
- Chrome Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/betterup-diagnostic-exten/mhckhmicdmbppeahialdhimbglncejce?authuser=1
- MS Edge Extension: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/bcjaioiidjkpeoibdkgmglchclfepdpb
- Please note, MS Edge add-on store is still in beta so the user may have to download Microsoft Edge Insider edition to use extensions. Chrome and Firefox extensions are recommended over MS for an easier installation experience.