Like all video platforms, BetterUp Video is network-dependent. There are times when you or your coach will have a poor network connection. The following guide is meant to serve as a resource for you when you run into any video or audio issues.
We recommend ensuring that your device, browser, and/or app are up to date. We recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome on a desktop computer. To test your connectivity before your next session, you can try this Pre-Call Test.
It is important to prioritize time in session with your coach rather than going through lengthy troubleshooting measures. If you are running into technical issues that cannot be resolved swiftly within the session or prior to the session, send a message to your coach to let them know you need to connect via your backup method of contact.
|Computer and browser requirements||Mobile devices and browser requirements|
BetterUp Video Checklist
Prior to your session:
- For Apple computers, grant your browser system access to your camera, microphone, and screen recording (required after every Mac OS update)
- Ensure also that your browser permissions are enabled for your camera and microphone.
- Establish a backup method of communication with your coach prior to your session. While the video chat might be working fine to start, having that shared alignment of the next steps should you lose connection can be helpful and reduce stress should the connection go down.
- Try this connectivity test: Pre-Call Test.
- If using your browser, ensure Safari, Chrome, or Firefox is updated. We recommend you use Chrome for an optimal experience.
- If using the Betterup mobile app, ensure the app is up to date.
- Have working headphones to use for your BetterUp Video call
Basic Video Troubleshooting: Poor Connection
If you run into any issues during your session:
- If using a browser: Try restarting your browser or using another browser to rejoin the session (Chrome is our preferred browser).
- If using the BetterUp Mobile App, try closing out the app and restarting it.
- If you are unable to hear your coach or your coach is unable to hear you, please see Troubleshooting Audio Issues
- Video takes up a lot of your network’s bandwidth, so switching to use audio-only can help your call run smoothly even with a poor WiFi connection. To do this, click the video icon in the app.
- If using WiFi and experiencing a poor connection, try moving to a different spot where the connection may be stronger
If you have tried troubleshooting and the video still isn’t working, send a message to your coach to request they contact you via your backup method of contact. As always, prioritize time in session with your coach rather than lengthy troubleshooting measures.
If the issue persists, we highly suggest you work with your IT team to help fix the issue before your next session. Additionally, feel free to contact support. We are always happy and available to help!
For poor connections, there are a couple of things you can do to work around these issues. If you continue to run into these issues moving forward, try completing these steps after the call:
- Ensure your wireless network hardware is switched on and plugged in
- Make sure you’re in range of your router, as it may help to adjust your position
- If you've recently installed or upgraded software firewalls on your computer, temporarily disable them
- Restart your computer and/or modem
- If applicable, disconnect the ethernet from the router and plug it directly into your computer or connect to a different network
Troubleshooting Audio Issues
If you are unable to hear your coach or they are unable to hear you or you are experiencing issues with audio, we recommend trying these troubleshooting steps:
- Toggle audio on/off (mute and un-mute)
- Disconnect and reconnect your headphones
- Switch to a different microphone (remove your headphones entirely and use the built-in microphone on your computer)
- Restart your browser (Chrome is our preferred browser)
- If restarting the browser doesn’t work, try launching the BetterUp Video from a different browser
- As always, ensure also that your browser permissions are enabled for your camera and microphone.
Troubleshooting Camera Issues
If you are experiencing issues with the camera on the BetterUp mobile app or website, you may be able to fix the video by clicking the camera icon twice to toggle your camera off and on. If that doesn’t work, the BetterUp platform will prompt you to have your sessions with your coach in audio-only mode.
We recommend ensuring that your device, browser, and/or app are up to date. You can try logging into your BetterUp account and joining the session in another browser, as sometimes this can be a browser-related issue. That being said, we also recommend checking your browser permissions for your camera and microphone if you are connecting to the BetterUp platform using a desktop or laptop.
If you would like to use an alternative video platform, you can update your preferred method of contact in your BetterUp account.
If the issue persists, we highly suggest you work with your IT team to help fix the issue before your next session. Always feel free to contact support. We are always happy and available to help!
Issue: Video is Flipped
When the video is appearing as flipped (90 degrees or upside-down), it is typically due to a browser-related issue. This most commonly occurs on Microsoft Edge. To resolve this, we recommend using the latest version of Google Chrome.
If you have a Microsoft Surface, since the Microsoft Surface has two cameras, the camera can sometimes default to the rear-facing camera on the device. To utilize the Microsoft Surface camera front, you will want to disable the Microsoft camera rear.
To switch to the front-facing camera, you follow these steps:
- Open Windows Device Manager (Right-click on the Windows menu, select Device Manager)
- Scroll down to System Devices and click to expand the menu.
- Double-click on either Microsoft Camera Front or Microsoft Camera Rear
- Select Enable Device on the camera that you want to use; Select Disable Device on the other.
Once you have followed these steps, we recommend trying the Pre-Call Test before your next session.
If this issue still occurs, please contact support with the following information:
- The browser that you are using
- A screenshot of what you are seeing on your end
- When this issue started occurring/what call this occurred on